A wind and hail storm came through and damaged my home. What do I do?

If there is a hole in your roof or other damage that is letting rain in, patch it up right away.  Call your insurance agent and report the claim.  Various storm chasers may show up at your door, claiming to provide all manner of service and repairs.  Don’t sign any contracts under such rushed circumstances.

Your insurance company will send an adjuster to your home to view the damage and determine what needs to be repaired.  Your insurer will then either admit or deny the claim.  If your claim is denied, you need to consult a capable and experienced attorney.

Even if your insurance company admits your claim, it may be willing to pay only a part of your claim.  No matter what the insurance company tells you, you will want to consult with a contractor of your own choosing to make the repairs.  You should consult with a capable and experienced attorney if you have any questions.

tornado damaged house